What is Settled Status and how to apply?
With the UK having now officially left the EU, and entering the transition period, it is now more important than ever for EU (European Union), EEA (European Economic Area) and Swiss citizens to ensure they have applied for settled status. Applying for settled (or pre-settled if they have resided in the UK for less than 5 years) status ensures that the above-mentioned citizens receive the same living and working rights as British citizens.
What is settled status?
Settled status ensures that EU, EEA and Swiss citizens who currently live and work in the UK can remaining doing so, with the same rights as British citizens, after 30th June 2021. Applying for settled status will ensure that you are able to:
• work in the UK
• use the NHS for free as you do now
• enrol in education or continue studying
• access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if you’re eligible for them
• travel in and out of the UK
How do you apply?
Before applying for UK settled status you need to ensure that you meet the EU Settlement Schemes criteria, this includes:
• Having lived in the UK for a continuous 5-year period
• Holding EU, EEA or Swiss citizenship
If you have not been living in the UK continuously for a period of 5 years but have started living in the UK by 31st December 2020 you can still apply for settled status but may be granted pre-settled status. Pre-settled status allows the applicant to remain in the UK for a further 5 years, allowing them to then apply for settled status upon 5-years continuous residence in the UK.
Before starting your application please ensure you have the following information as this will be requested during the application process:
• Proof of identity – valid passport, biometric identity card or biometric residence permit)
• Proof of UK address – National Insurance number (however you may also be required to submit additional proof from the following list: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/eu-settlement-scheme-evidence-of-uk-residence)
To apply for either settled or pre-settled status EU, EEA or Swiss citizens please visit: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/applying-for-settled-status
What is the deadline?
Applications under the EU Settlement Scheme for settled or pre-settled status must be made by 30th June 2021.
If you are concerned about how these changes may affect you or your business or if you would like further information, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0203 019 4990 or email us at email@example.com.